J.M. NORTHUP's BLOG

Sunday, February 5, 2017

WHAT'S J.W. GOODWIN WORKING ON?

WIPs and New Releases

1)      Tell us about your work-in-progress, or WIP, as it’s known as in the industry…
Ø  What is the story about?
·   The skinny mini version is a girl rebels against society norms and ends up changing the world.
·   Something a bit more interesting would sound like this:
It’s about Rosalinda Plaisance and her journey across Engardona to find a way to restore her friend’s memory, which she believes has been snatched from her. What she discovers is a plot far bigger than she is and one she buries herself in the thick of.
·   Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be different.
Ø  Who is the main character?
·   Rosalinda Plaisance, a young woman from the village of Bybush. Bit of a troublemaker, this one, but she cares far more than she lets on.
2)     What inspired this tale?
Ø  How did the story come to you?
·   I had a dream about a woman who had to go off on a journey to find something. Though I never saw her journey, she came back more confident. The pendant she wore was important. That’s all I remember of it sadly, but I knew I wanted to build on that dream as it felt spectacular. Turned out to be one monster of a project in the end, but I’m happy to have done it.
Ø  Did you have to research for this novel and if so, why?
·   I probably did. I did the first draft of this so long ago that I don’t remember all that was researched. I remember giant sandworms were part of the research. I did it to make sure all I wrote could be believable, but I bet I’ll have to do more during the first edit.
Ø  If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn and why?
·   I wish I could remember. I spent days researching different things as it cropped up as I wrote. I know I said ‘huh… well that’s cool’ a bunch of times.
3)     Do you relate to your character?
Ø  Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
·   Yes and no. Rosa is more like the person I wanted to be and also who I felt like I was at the time of writing.
·   Though I am a quiet person in a crowd of people, there are many things I wish I could voice my opinion about like she does. She’s more outspoken in that regard; she’s not afraid to tell people what she thinks no matter your status.
·   Her heart, on the other hand, is much like mine, caring but hard to keep her trust if you break it.
Ø  What made you write this character; what made them important to you or made you want to tell their story?
·   Rosa made me write this character. I love turning my dreams into stories and as I’ve said I had to make this one a reality. Once I started, she took off running yelling at me to keep up. It was quite the experience. If only the other dreams I have notes on can have the same treatment.
4)    Is there anything you specific want readers to know about this piece of work?
It’s an interesting story but, without realizing it, I’ve added an undertone of the way society and human nature works or has/can work. It’s all complicated and a jumbled mess in my head, but it’s in there. I’m not sure all books do this, but it has broadened my understanding on how I view the world. That is a scary but beautiful thing. My main goal though is hoping people enjoy reading it like I had fun writing it.
5)    When will the novel be available for purchase?
To be honest I’m not sure. I’m hoping by the beginning of 2018 and I’ll be posting updates about it on my Facebook page along with possible character sketches and other artwork.

While you wait for the new release, check out
J.W. Goodwin's young adult fantasy

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating...
    Wanna join me in Seventh-Heaven
    to RITE zzzillionzNzzzillionz?
    GBY

    ReplyDelete

NORNS TRIAD PUBLICATIONS' BLOG